FP-1.0 The Canton of Aston Tor will follow the official financial policies of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) as published and updated. This is in accordance with Kingdom of Calontir (Calontir) financial policy.
FP-2.0 The Canton of Aston Tor (Aston Tor) will follow the official financial policies of the Calontir as published and updated. This is in accordance with Calontir financial policy.
FP-3.0 In instances where Aston Tor is in error, out of compliance, or in violation of SCA or Calontir policies, officers and group members shall take steps to come into compliance in a timely manner.
- 3.1 The exchequer and/or seneschal is required to communicate and coordinate with the kingdom exchequer for variance and guidance as needed once the issue is identified.
FP-4.0 The Aston Tor exchequer is required to provide current versions of this financial policy in addition to financial records by request. If not immediately provided, the exchequer should make arrangements to provide copies in a timely manner.
FP-5.0 Financial Committee
- 5.1 For decisions requiring a financial committee, the financial committee consists of the Seneschal, Exchequer, and paid members of the group present at official group meetings.
- 5.2 In compliance with SCA policies, the Seneschal and Exchequer must be paid and current members of the SCA.
- 5.3 Paid members are defined as participants with current paid memberships with the SCA.
- 5.4 Non-member participants present during financial committee discussions and decisions, are welcome to participate. In a case of voting for actions or policies, the financial committee may disregard votes for consensus or conclusion.
- 5.5 Decisions of the financial committee are resolved by simple majority at business meetings.
- 5.6 For decisions requiring timely resolution, an emergency financial committee meeting between the Seneschal, Exchequer, and the Arts & Sciences minister can be held in person, or electronically. Notes and decisions of this meeting will be shared with the group financial meeting at the first opportunity.
FP-6.0 For events held by Aston Tor requiring “Gate” registration and/or admittance requiring payment of cash monies for more than one day:
- 6.1 The Exchequer (or designated deputy approved by the financial committee ahead of time) is required and responsible for coordinating closure and opening of registration.
- 6.2 At the end of each registration day, the Exchequer (or designee as defined above) requests the registration coordinator to collect all payments including cash, checks, etc., and all paperwork collected for event registration. Exchequer (or designee defined above) escorts the registration coordinator to a secure area to perform a cash/check/prepay reconciliation of the monies in the cash register against the registrations collected for the time period.
- 6.3 The Exchequer (or designee defined above) must secure monies and related materials in a manner that guarantees safekeeping until re-opening registration for the duration of the event.
- 6.4 The financial committee (defined in FP-103 above) can determine if the Exchequer (or designee defined above) is mandated to deposit excess funds between closure and re-opening registration for events requiring more than one day of registration.
FP-7.0 Family Cap
- 7.1 The purpose of a family cap is to lessen the costs for a family to attend an SCA event. When directed by the financial committee, the group may allow a “Family Cap” limiting the financial requirement for attendance to support family attendance at events hosted by Aston Tor.
- 7.2 A household is defined as two adults with children. Children are further defined as minors, or age 17 and younger belonging with whoever is legally responsible for them at an event.
- 7.3 Any Non-Member Surcharges are not included in the family cap. It applies to all non-member adults attending an SCA event.
- 7.4 Minors are not charged the Non-Member Surcharge when there is a discounted minor fee (consistent with Calontir financial policy FP-113).
- 7.5 The family cap for is based on a two adult and two minor household for the cost of registration. The SCA Non-Member Surcharge (NMS) is not included in the Family Cap policy amount.
- 7.6 The financial committee must finalize family cap policy before the event. The family cap policy must be easily visible at “Gate” event registration. All staff at registration must be educated on the family cap policy prior to their shift.
- 7.7 In many cases, common sense will play a part in determining eligibility for the family cap. Families with foster children, grandparents raising their grandchildren, and other special circumstances involving custody issues and request should be considered and included according to the spirit of this policy.
- 8.1 Financial donations to the Aston Tor group aside from event income will be deposited within 10 business days of the donation.
- 8.2 All donations are assumed to be to the group’s general fund unless designated otherwise.
- 8.3 Donations designated for a specific project or fundraiser will revert to general funds when designated and agreed upon by the financial committee, after completion of said project or fundraiser.
FP-9.0 Changes to Financial Policy
- 9.1 The financial committee must approve amendments, edits or changes to this financial policy.
- 9.2 All changes and amendments must be approved by simple majority of the financial committee before publication.
- 9.3 The originator of changes or amendments undertake the responsibility for ensuring that the financial committee has been supplied with the proposed amendment or change verbiage.
- 9.4 The financial committee will review the financial policy when there is a change in the Seneschalate for updates and changes at a minimum. Otherwise, changes can be made during business meetings at any time.
FP-10.0 E-Pay refunds
- 10.1 The Aston Tor Exchequer must receive requests for pre-registration refunds in writing, postmarked or e-mailed no later than three (3) days after the event. Refund requests must include the same information that was submitted in the registration. Refunds will only be paid by check from the hosting group within 30 days after the event is over and account has processed. A processing fee of 10% of the transaction, or the PayPal processing fee, whichever is greater, will be charged on all refunds for PayPal reservations.